Victor B. MacFarlane
Chief Executive Officer
Victor MacFarlane is chairman and chief executive officer of MacFarlane Partners, which he founded in 1987 to provide real estate investment management services to institutional investors. He has primary responsibility for the firm’s investment management activities, chairs its investment committee and serves on its senior management committee.
Victor has more than 30 years of real estate experience, during which he has worked extensively in property development, acquisitions, asset management and portfolio management on behalf of some of the world’s largest pension plans and institutions.
Under his leadership, MacFarlane Partners pioneered the urban investment concept among institutional real estate managers in the mid-1990s and today has become one of the leading real estate investment management firms in the United States.
Victor began his real estate career in 1979 with Aetna Life & Casualty Company, where he helped acquire and manage more than $1 billion in real estate assets. He later developed and managed, for his own account, an award-winning apartment community in Denver.
In 1996, he sold the core separate-account investment management business of MacFarlane Partners to GE Capital and then served for three years as chief executive officer of GE Capital Investment Advisors.
During that period, he also spearheaded several global initiatives for GE Capital Real Estate, an affiliate with $20 billion in real estate assets worldwide, overseeing or participating in its expansion plans in Asia, Mexico and Eastern Europe.
At the end of his contractual commitment in April 1999, he resigned from GE Capital and began rebuilding MacFarlane Partners as an entrepreneurial firm that focused on urban properties and other high-yielding real estate investments.
- National Inner City Leadership Award, Initiative for a Competitive Inner City, 2006
- Trailblazer Achievement Award, Global Diversity Summit, 2006
- Board of Directors, DDR Corp.
- Board of Directors, Initiative for a Competitive Inner City
- Board of Directors, Real Estate Executive Council
- Board of Directors, The Toigo Foundation
- Board of Advisors, UCLA School of Law
- Board Facilities Committee, Stanford Hospital & Clinics
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Pension Real Estate Association
- Urban Land Institute
- World Presidents Organization
- Bachelor of University Studies, University of New Mexico
- Juris Doctor, University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law
- Master of Business Administration, University of Pittsburgh
- Doctor of Laws (honorary), University of the District of Columbia