Mid-rise apartment community developed adjacent to a Metro light-rail transit station in Rockville, Md., roughly 10 miles northwest of the District of Columbia.
- 279 rental apartments
- 10,200 square feet of retail space
Local Population Density
- Invested in the development project through a venture with the property’s developer, The JBG Companies.
- Developed two four- to six-story residential buildings on opposite sides of a newly built street on a site that had been part vacant land and part surface parking lot.
- Property serves as the first phase of Twinbrook Station, a major redevelopment effort that will transform 26 acres of commuter parking lots and adjacent property into a vibrant, 2.2.-million-square-foot, mixed-use community surrounding the Twinbrook Metro transit station. Operated by Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, Twinbrook Station provides light-rail access to points throughout the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area.
- Forty-two of the apartments (15% of the total built) are designated as affordable housing for low- and moderate-income residents.
- Both The Alaire and the remaining Twinbrook Station acreage are part of a multi-site portfolio of operating properties and planned development projects located in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area that is jointly owned by MacFarlane Partners and The JBG Companies.
- The entire Twinbrook Station project has been designated a smart growth project by the Washington Smart Growth Alliance and has received the International Charter Award for Excellence from the Congress for New Urbanism.
- Twinbrook Station also was the first project in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area to be awarded Stage 2 LEED for Neighborhood Development Gold-level pre-certification under the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) rating system. (Click here to view the USGBC’s project profile of Twinbrook Station.)
Awards & Honors
- Named 2010 Multifamily Community of the Year by the Great American Living Awards, an annual real estate contest held by the Washington Metropolitan Sales & Marketing Council, the Northern Virginia Building Industry Association, and the Maryland National Capital Building Industry Association. Also won six other GALAs: Overall Marketing Campaign; Design & Architecture; Individual Community Web Site; Interior Design for Apartment Building; Rental Model Interior Merchandising; and Clubhouse Interior Design.
- Earned honors as the Best Mid-Atlantic Transit-Oriented Development given by Delta Associates at the real estate research and advisory firm’s 14th annual Awards for Excellence for Multifamily Properties in October 2010.
Walk Score: 61 | Transit Score: 68 | Bike Score: n/a