As managing director, portfolio management, Michael Hoeffel helps oversee the real estate portfolios that MacFarlane Partners manages on behalf of its capital partners. He serves as a client advocate within the firm and is involved in all matters related to the portfolios it manages, including developing and implementing investment strategies, preparing management and financial reports, and monitoring investment performance relative to client risk/return objectives.
Michael has 23 years of real estate experience, during which he has been involved in the sourcing, underwriting, acquisition, development, management and disposition of more than $10 billion in property assets.
Michael previously oversaw the team that underwrote prospective investments undertaken by MacFarlane Partners, ensuring that due diligence tasks were completed within required time frames and helping to structure transactions with property sellers and/or joint-venture partners.
Prior to joining the firm, he served as manager of analysis services for Property Capital, Inc., a real estate investment banking firm that specialized in raising equity capital for property owners and operators. There, he led the firm’s efforts to automate the investment underwriting process, working with a group of information-technology specialists.
Michael began his real estate career with PricewaterhouseCoopers, where he served first as a senior associate and then as a manager in the firm’s real estate advisory services group, which provided valuation and due diligence services for third-party commercial and residential property portfolios. Previously, he had worked for five years as a mergers-and-acquisitions consultant to the commercial banking industry.
- Board of Trustees, Hearth Homes (a non-profit, affordable-housing developer)
- Vice Chair, City of Orinda (Calif.) Planning Commission
- Berkeley Real Estate Associates
- Pension Real Estate Association
- Urban Land Institute
- Bachelor of Science, Business Administration with a concentration in Finance and International Management, Georgetown University
- Master of Business Administration, with a concentration in Real Estate, Haas School of Business at the University of California, Berkeley