As a socially responsible investor, MacFarlane Partners is committed to the concept of sustainable development and to limiting the impact that the development and operation of our property investments have on the environment.
To ensure that our investment and corporate activities minimize our environmental “footprint,” we have adopted practices and guidelines for sustainable development that set company-wide objectives in four areas.
Favor higher land-use densities, urban-infill sites, walkability, and proximity to public transit and existing infrastructure.
Property Design and Development Standards
- Maximize a site’s pedestrian-oriented open space.
- Develop compact, space-efficient buildings that are certified under the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) rating classification system for their energy-saving and environmentally friendly design and systems.
- Recycle and properly dispose of demolition and construction waste.
- Reduce waste and promote recycling.
- Maintain ventilation systems to reduce airborne pollutants.
- Use non-toxic, bio-based cleaning products.
- Install water-efficient landscaping and irrigation systems.
- Properly dispose of any hazardous waste.
- Facilitate employee use of public transit systems.
- Support telecommuting.
- Use recycled paper products and office supplies.
- Encourage double-sided printing, when printing is necessary.
- Recycle used paper, cans and bottles.
Certified Green Buildings
Among the properties in which MacFarlane Partners has invested over the years that have been certified under the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) rating classification system are:
LEED Gold Certified
- Tribeca Green (New York City): Construction completed in 2005.
- 55 M Street (Washington, D.C.): Construction completed in 2009.
- Element 12420 (Rockville, Md.): Full-building renovation completed in 2009.
- Sedona | Slate (Arlington, Va.): Construction completed in 2013.
- The Terano (Rockville, Md.): Construction completed in 2015.
LEED Silver Certified
- The Uptown (Oakland, Calif.): Construction completed in 2008.
- Hotel & Residences at L.A. Live (Los Angeles): Construction completed in 2010/2011.
- Venn on Market (San Francisco): Construction completed in 2013.